PTE Listening: Highlight incorrect words
Highlight incorrect words questions test your ability to listen for and point out the differences between a recording and a transcript.
Here are some key points about Highlight incorrect words questions:
- They assess both your listening and reading skills.
- The recording will last between 15 and 50 seconds.
- You will hear the recording once only.
- There will be up to 7 errors in the transcript.
- The recording will begin automatically after 10 seconds.
- You will answer two or three Highlight incorrect words questions in the listening test.
Here is our recommended strategy for answering Highlight incorrect words questions.
Before you listen
- Start by quickly skimming the text. This will give you a general understanding of what the text is about and help you understand what you hear.
- Keep an eye on the audio status box. Before the recording begins, move your cursor to the start of the text so that you are ready to click and select.
While you are listening
- Follow the written text as you listen to the recording and click on any words that do not match the recording.
NOTE: Negative marking applies to this question type. If you are not sure, do not guess!
Now it is your turn to practise. Answer the Highlight incorrect words question below using the steps outlined above.
You will hear a recording. Below is a transcription of the recording. Some words in the transcription differ from what the speaker(s) said. Please click on the words that are different.